Thursday, January 9, 2014

WITC awards, music videos and live performances

Crazy stuff has been happening in WITC

As you've heard about in the past, I've been a pretty active member in the Warsaw International Triathlon Club for the past couple years.  I attend the swim and cross training sessions regularly, and I participate in the Tuesday evening runs.  I help Ken organize the parties and recruit people to come for the training; for fitness, but also for the fun.  It's safe to say that this club has become a big part of my Warsaw life.  It keeps me fit, introduces me to many open minded people, and obviously got me to enter into my first (and second, third, fourth, and fifth) triathlons in my life.  Granted, my longest races are the Olympic and 1/4 Ironman triathlons, and I've never run longer than a half-marathon, but that is much more than I could say for myself just two years ago.  I don't consider myself a runner or a triathlete, but the more I train with the club, the closer I get to that.  I still don't think I like running, but the club has really improved me in a lot of areas of fitness.  I don't like racing on my bike (I'm more of a Sunday stroll kind of guy) and I dread swimming in open water with hundreds of others around me, but somehow I still do it. It's because it's such a great motivational group, with fun and supportive people, and options for everyone at every skill and fitness level.  Everyone can find something in this club.  Or you can just come for the parties.

Yes, we train together too (sometimes)

2013 Christmas party

But you know all that already.  What you might know is some of the other stuff that I've been up to with this club. 

Somehow I've become a recording artist, even though I can't sing.  Ken and I made a music video promoting the club, which was actually the second club song that I've been a part of.  Olgierd provided all the equipment and did the editing, and I have to say that it turned out really nice, except the part where I can't sing.  I think I've gotten better at it since the time we recorded this, but in this video, I must warn you, I'm no Alicia Keys.  More like Squeeky Keys (if that's a thing).  Ken did a great job with the rap part though.  If you don't understand all the words, he's talking about parts of Warsaw where we train, some of our competitors, and basically just getting people motivated to give it a try.  We've also performed this live at two separate parties, most recently on stage at our annual Christmas party in front of 100 people.  This was a dream come true for me, as you can imagine, considering my vocal prowess.  Well, actually it was.  I've always wanted to be a singer in a band, where the crowd knows the words and sings along. And you can hold the microphone out and let them sing, so you don't have to.  That's the best.  Luckily we put the words on the screen so they could sing along with us.  And there was a dancing drunk woman in the front row.  I felt like Bon Jovi.  Or at least Bon Jovi's backup singer.

The music video

From our first live performance

You can call our agent if you would like to make a booking. 

We also have our original WITC anthem, based on YMCA (one of my least favorite songs ever).  We performed this one at the 2012 Christmas party, but made a few modifications for 2013.  The 2012 version is here (for some reason it's not letting me embed it on the screen...annoying).  I'm not showing you the 2013 version because there is some male stripping, and I'll only send it to you if you ask nicely and explain why you want to see male stripping.

So it seems that we've been getting a lot of internet exposure lately, which is pretty fun. This is on top of when I was almost in a Super Bowl commercial last year.  Here's the post.

And the commercial (it never aired but was fun to do):
 

When I was caught in the middle of a film set outside my apartment:

And when I was in a celebrity gossip magazine:

And to top it all off, somehow I was selected as the WITC male mutli-sport athlete of the year for 2013.  I guess this means I do multi-sports well (i.e. triathlon, but I guess it includes other things as well?).  I am definitely not the best or fastest at triathlons, but I am very honored to be selected for the award.  Of the other 4 finalists, I would have voted for me LAST, but somehow the voters decided to pick me.  I guess it's a sign of how supportive and encouraging this group is, that I can get to this point even though it was only my second year doing triathlons, and I am not great (or even "very good") in any of the disciplines.  Or maybe it's because I am a Polish celebrity.  Either way, I guess I better plan for an even bigger 2014.  After all, the fans are waiting.

Not worthy of this


No comments:

Post a Comment