Sunday, December 4, 2011

Thanksgiving Sunday

Thanksgiving is definitely my favorite holiday of the year.  Mostly because it's a time to reflect on what we can appreciate in our lives, but also because Christmas lost points after my parents stopped giving me cool presents like Transformers and Nintendo games. But really, I definitely have a lot to appreciate.

Even though I have at least 1,000 new grey hairs since I moved to Poland, I couldn't be happier about how it has gone.  Great new friends, new places to travel, wonderful visitors (and I am still accepting more), new cultures and experiences, and of course, unlimited vodka drinking practice.  Of course I'm also thankful for my family and friends back home, our collective health, and the fact that our Maui condo hasn't been flooded by any of the threatening tsunamis. 

But really, my favorite part of Thanksgiving the past 2 years has been sharing it with people from so many countries.  Last year, 8 people came over for my first Turkey ever.  This year, there were 18. 

Needless to say, we didn't all fit around the table

I don't know why I thought 18 people would eat comfortably in my apartment, but then I thought it's Thanksgiving, and you never eat comfortably on Thanksgiving.  There's never elbow room when your entire extended family is gathered around the table, and after 30 minutes of shoveling food you are too stuffed to move anyway.  So, who cares if it's crowded!

I thought that at least some people would turn down the invitation, but it turns out everyone was just as excited for it as I was. 
I don't know if I'll be here next year for Thanksgiving, but I'll definitely have another Thanksgiving dinner, even if it has to be in September. 

This year's roster included:

- 7 Poles
- 2 Bulgarians
- 2 Romanians
- 1 British/Ecuadorian/Who knows what he is
- 1 Italian
- 1 Latvian
- 4 Americans
- 1 French Christmas tree

Francois, the French Christmas tree (check out his Movember moustache)

Among the amazing food that everyone brought, we had:

- Turkey and gravy
- Tofurkey and veggie gravy
- Chicken drumsticks
- Mashed Potatoes
- Stuffing
- Cranberries
- Moussaka
- Baked pierogi that aren't really pierogi
- Carrot casserole
- Cous cous salad
- Chicken salad
- Greek salad
- More salad
- Wine/beer
- Vodka (for a Polish twist)
- Tiramisu
- Pineapple/pine-nut cake (a recipe Tyler invented based on a line out of Mad Men)
- Pumpkin pie

Turkey bathing in the brine

12 pound turkey too big for the pan

Done!

Pumpkin pie for 18

I think I'm forgetting some things because when I look at the picture of my plate, everything is piled on top of each other, so you can't see everything!  But you get the idea...it was a FEAST, surrounded by great people and good laughs...just like Thanksgiving should be. 

Plate #1 of many

This is how we all felt...classic Thanksgiving
 
Already looking forward to next year :))))  Maybe we can fit even more next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment