Monday, October 8, 2012

Slovenia: #25 in 25

25 in 25.

As in, I've just been to my 25th European country in the 25 months I've lived here. I found it hard to believe myself until I actually counted them.

In the last 2 years I've been to (deep breath) England (x3), Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany (x4), Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy (x3), Vatican City (yes, it counts) Denmark, Sweden, Estonia (x2), Latvia (x2), Lithuania, Ukraine (x2), Russia (x3), Hungary, Czech Republic (x4), Slovakia, Croatia, Bosnia, Turkey, and of course Poland. 

Lucky #25: Slovenia.


Along the river in Ljubljana Old Town

I was summoned to Ljubljana for work, as an emergency instructor for new hires from Slovenia and Croatia. After looking long and hard for someone to fill the role, I volunteered my services, because I wanted to visit Ljubljana, I liked the idea of delivering the new hire course again, and there wasn't really any other option. I had to find an instructor.  And the only instructor available was me.  For those of you that are wondering, yes Ljubljana is a city, and no, I didn't accidentally fat-finger the keyboard when typing it.  Ljubljana.  Now you try it. 

The great thing about work trips is that I don't have to pay for it, but it also means I don't have all the free time in the world.  Lucky for me, Ljubljana is a small city, and also, I didn't mind spending time at work, because I had a great time.  The 9 person class was very nice, and the training was a lot of fun. Everyone in the office was extremely friendly and helpful...maybe a product of being a small office, the atmosphere is very intimate.  Every morning someone would make me tea (they insisted I didn't do it myself...I guess they didn't trust that I know how?), and we'd get fruits and candies throughout the day.  People talked to me like I was an old friend, and some woman I never saw in my life, ran up to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek as I was leaving on the last day.  Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to work in a small office where you know everyone. And everyone runs over to you to give you a big fat kiss, even if you don't know them. 

Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia, another country that was once part of Yugoslavia. Luckily, Slovenia didn't find itself in the middle of the conflicts in Bosnia, Croatia and Kosovo, although they did have their own 10 day Independence war in 1991. They are part of the EU and are on the Euro, so it automatically seems "developed" because of that.  That's probably not the best way to judge a place, but I admit that sometimes it helps form the first impression. I'm guessing that most Americans haven't heard much about Slovenia or Ljubljana, but it's definitely a place to put on the radar if you are in the area.  Slovenia is a very beautiful country with lots of nature, mountains, water, etc.  It borders Italy, Austria, Hungary and Croatia, all beautiful countries, so you can get an idea of what it looks like.  Historically the influences have been from many different countries over time.

Similar architecture to many cities in the region

Inside the castle

View from the castle - I love orange roofs

Lucky for me (and undeservedly), my colleague from the PwC office, Irena, picked me up from the airport on a Sunday morning and took me on a walking tour around the Old Town.  This was completely unnecessary, but I was very appreciative that she took the time to do this, especially on the weekend.  We had never met in person, but have corresponded over email many times.  She was a great guide, informative and passionate about her city, she took me everywhere I wanted to go, and when I started falling asleep, she splashed water on my face and dropped me off at my hotel (ok not really the water part).  I got about 3 hours of sleep the night before, so after a few hours of walking around the city, I needed a nap.  We also enjoyed a nice lunch along the river that runs through the center, where I tried deer goulash. I was tempted to get calamari since the region has good seafood, but I'm still traumatized from my last meal in Croatia.  The Old Town is very quaint, easy to walk around and includes several small walking bridges.


Deer goulash for lunch

Restaurants along the river

One night I went for a jog around the city, ending in Tivoli park, to get an idea of the layout, and because I'd been a lazy bum lately. It's really a nice town, worth seeing for a weekend. I wish I had some more time to visit other places in Slovenia, especially for the nature, but I can always go back.

 
Old Town at night

The castle above the city at night


The only downside of the trip was when 1.50 Euro got stolen from me by one of the workers at airport security. I put 1.60 in coins in the x-ray bin next to my laptop, and I saw him touch the coins as he put the bin through the scanner.  When my stuff came out on the other side, only one 10-cent coin was left!  At first I thought that the machine ate my coins (no, not really, but I was in denial of being robbed).  I made a big fuss, not because of the amount of money, but because of the principle. A different guy behind the scanner rewound (rewinded?  rewounded?) the video to look at my bag...he noticed only 1 coin there, and kept telling me "see, only 1 coin."  He didn't understand that it was exactly my point...I put 3 coins in the bin, but somehow only 1 came out on the other side.  There was only 1 person who handled my bin in between me and the machine, and it was the other guy stupidly grinning and shrugging his shoulders at me. Everyone in line was annoyed with me, with good reason, as I was holding up the line.  But what bothered me even more is that they were blaming me: "maybe you made a mistake" or "it's only 1.50, do you really need the money?"  No, that's not the point.  The point is that the guy is a jerkface and I would have done anything to catch him in his lie.  He never admitted to it, but I hope he'll at least think twice before doing it again to someone else. It actually bothered me for a couple days, but I think I'm finally over it (actually not, as I write this now, I am getting irritated again!). At least it turns that out my seat was in business class, I had access to the lounge where I got free food and drinks, and got a free meal on the plane. So I guess I got my 1.50's worth. But still, argh!

No comments:

Post a Comment