Thursday, August 8, 2013

How to Stay Cool When Walking 15 Minutes to the Train to Go to Work in the Summer

I actually dread hot summers.  Not because I don't like warm weather and the sun; I do.  I very much enjoy it on the weekends and when I'm on vacation and can go swimming anytime I want.  I just hate hot weather on Mondays through Fridays between 8 and 9 am.  Because that's when I have to walk to the Metro or Tram to get to work.

If I could wear shorts and a t-shirt to work this wouldn't be an issue, but wearing long sleeve shirts, long pants, carrying a heavy laptop bag and walking 12-15 minutes to the Metro station is my summer's biggest stress.  You may not think much of it, but I go to bed at night worrying "I really hope it's not too hot tomorrow morning...maybe I'll just work from home to avoid the humiliation".

The reason?  Because when I finally get to the Metro on a hot summer day, I am usually dripping with sweat.  I know that's disgusting and that's why I hate it. And it always seems like I'm the only one!

So this week I tried something new, and I want to share it with you.  It's going to change your life.  Now I present to you How to Stay Cool When Walking 15 Minutes to the Train to Go to Work in the Summer (patent pending).

First of all, you have to identify the need. Check the forecast and if it's supposed to be 85 degrees or more that day, there's a good chance you will be sweaty by the time you get to the tram.  So plan for it. Also, you know you'll be hot if you get sweaty just sitting in the kitchen eating breakfast (yes it happens - the sun shines in through the kitchen window, I can't help it). 

Now here's the magic breakthrough: Ice. I tried it this week and it's so simple.  There are a few steps in making this work for you. All of the tips are based on my own personal experience.  You're welcome.

a. Wash your hands

b. Grab a few ice cubes from the freezer and carry them for the walk to the Metro/Tram station - all of them in one hand.  I prefer ice cubes shaped like babushkas.

c. As your hand starts to get unbearably cold, switch the ice to the other hand. 

d. Take the cold water that's left in the first hand, and wipe it on your neck, ears and forehead.  If you have no hair, you can also rub it on the top of your head, which feels amazing.  Resist the urge to lick your hands in public. 

e. Repeat every time your hand feels like it's burning from the ice. 

f, Be careful not to drop the ice cubes - people walking behind you will have to go around you, and will give you strange looks when they see you bend over to pick ice up off the sidewalk.   If you do drop the ice, pick it up very casually, as if it was your car keys.  Look people in the eye as if they're the weird ones for not carrying ice. 

g. After the cubes get really small, put them down your shirt - some in front and some in back.  It's best to do this while nobody is looking.  With my hand on the outside of my shirt, and the ice inside, I like to rub the ice against my chest  for extra coldness.  This may be difficult if you are a woman. Or it will attract a lot of attention.

NOTE: Your shirt will have water streaks on them, and your face will be glistening wet, so some people will think you're sweaty.  Others will notice your content and cool smile and realize that you probably have ice down your shirt and are feeling great.

h. If available, walk through one of the fire hydrant sprinklers with a smile on your face. At this point you are already wet, so it wont matter.  And it's fun. 

i. If taking the tram, get on one of the newer ones.  The air conditioning is much better and will feel great. 

j. Ignore the fact that your hands are numb.  Feeling will come back by the time you get to work.

Disclaimer:  If it's 100 degrees like it is today, none of this will matter and you will still be sweaty.  Sorry.

3 comments:

  1. hope no friend come along and will shake the hande.

    @i: old ones have no air conditioning. Plan you trip and sit on the side of the shade Ö

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Houstonian, I have absolutely no pity for you. As you know, the 3rd largest city in the galaxy only has 1 true season and that is summer. The heat index is 119 today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius!!! Well you've done it again. Can you provide a self help video with music?

    ReplyDelete