Friday, October 1, 2010

Survived the first week

A few days have passed and I'm still alive!  I've been in meetings with my new team for the first few days, so hanging out with them has made it easier to get acclimated to the important parts of life, such as ordering food, finding a bathroom, and not looking like an idiot trying to ride the subway.  I have a few Polish team members, but there are also people from Romania, Czech Republic, Serbia, and Hungary. 

The weather has been somewhat dreary (Seattle-like, you might say), but it's been fine, and I am really looking forward to exploring the city.  I've had some good Polish beer and some pretty tasty Polish food (not sure I can tell you exactly what it was though).  I've also had Italian and Thai so I don't OD on Polish food in my first week.  I am also looking forward to this place:


Now that I have a working Blackberry, I'll be sure to take more pictures of food, streets, sights, etc and post them. 

Here are some observations so far:
- Your first question is going to be "How's Poland?"  I say "come see for yourself!"
- Please remember that you need to put a keycard into a slot near the door in your hotel room; otherwise the lights won't turn on.  Please take note of that so you don't call the front desk insisting that the lights in the room are broken
- People don't assume I speak Polish (whew)
- The one guy that did assume I spoke Polish followed me down the street trying to get me to talk to him (in Polish).  I panicked, started running, and yelled back over my shoulder "Sorry I don't have any!" ("Any" of what, I don't know)
- I somehow managed to be off by 1.5 hours today.  It was 3:45 and I thought it was 5:15.  How that half hour snuck in there, I will never know. 
- There are Asians in Poland (either working in restaurants or smoking in alleys)
- My Polish friends have been SUPER helpful in helping me think of places to live, finding me people to hang out with, and making sure I am comfortable
- Wait a minute.  Why do my Polish friends only find me people to hang out with, but never want to hang out with me themselves?
- Now that one of the IT guys has helped me in English, I'm going to bother him all the time (and probably ask him to be my friend)
- I miss Glee
- I need to carry lactaid around with me because nobody (not even my English speaking Polish friends) understands what I mean when I say "I can't have any dairy".  "But milk and cheese is ok, right?"  "Um, no."
- I may not see the sky until April (please send pictures of what it looks like)

I'm off for some sightseeing and apartment hunting over the next few days.  And will try to find a place to watch some football!  Have a good weekend.



3 comments:

  1. Glad you made it okay. Sounds like you're doing okay except running away from an old man. =)
    Can't wait to see more pics. Don't worry it's overcast in seattle again but it's not raining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Tristan, they did a Britney Spears episode and it made me miss you! I have no one to talk about it with. I love that the only thing you took a picture of is basically the ave at UW. Thanks for showing us this nugget of polish culture.
    Will you get a chance to travel to the other places in your area soon?
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glee - I made Angela a fan. She's looking for DVD's of season 1 now. Sign up on Itunes and buy the season. You can get the episode 1 hour after it airs....

    ReplyDelete