Saturday, October 2, 2010

Why don't the Vietnamese in Poland speak English?

There are few things more uncomfortable (and at the same time very motivating) than not being able to communicate with someone.  I don't mind the fact that I live far from home, and actually, I like being in a foreign place unlike anything we have in the US.  I don't mind not knowing where I'm going, knowing very few people, and so far, I really don't miss DVR (yet).  However, the one thing that truly makes a place feel foreign is when people around you are all speaking Greek (aka Polish). 

I know that most people here (under the age of 40) speak English well, so I'd never really HAVE to learn Polish.  But I also don't want to be the cocky American who thinks that the world revolves around me and that even though I live in Poland, everyone should speak English.  I want to learn Polish. 

The other day I wrote about how most people don't assume I speak Polish.  However, I found out today that there are certain instances where people will talk to me in Polish, and I'll stand there going "Uhhhhhhhh..." and will shake my head "no" without even knowing what they've said.  This happens mostly in stores and restaurants...which has made eating one of the most stressful things about being here!

In the grocery store a lady asked me a question in Polish (I don't know what she said, but it sounded like there was  "?" at the end of it!).  My response? "Uhhhhhhhhh..." (then I shook my head "no" and walked the other way).

A guy on the street tried to hand me a flyer.  My response? "Uhhhhhhhhh..." (shook my head "no" and walked the other way).

Then I go into the Pho restaurant (which wasn't bad at all).  I have to go to the counter to order, and the lady behind it is Vietnamese.  The menu is in Vietnamese with Polish subtitles.  Great.  Luckily I know what I want: Pho Tai.  I order: "Pho Tai please" (but why did I say "please"?).  The lady clearly didn't speak English.  Heck, Vietnamese ladies at pho restaurants in the US hardly speak English...how could I expect that this one would? 

There is no numbering system after you order...you just stand and wait for them to call out when your food is ready.  So I stand there and listen as the lady calls out orders.  All I have to do is listen for "Pho Tai - medium" (I don't know why "medium" is written in English on the menu, but it is).  After a few people pick up their food, I realize that she is calling out the orders in Polish!! (with a thick Vietnamese accent of course).  How am I supposed to know when "Pho Tai" has been called if she is going to say it in Polish??????

I quickly grab my Polish dictionary, looking up the words for "soup" and "beef".  Zupa and wolowina. Hopefully that's what she says when my food is ready.  After several other people pick theirs up, I am still standing there looking like an idiot.  When she starts yelling and pointing at me I figure that means mine is ready.  Whoops.  However, another guy and I both grab the bowl at the same time!  Awkward!!  She points to me, which I think possibly means it was mine (but it also could have meant "you're a stupid idiot, get out of here!").  Luckily, the other guy backs off. 

I also ordered a drink, but it isn't on the tray.  I don't know what to do.   With many people around me there is no time to look in my dictionary for how to say "Excuse me, I actually ordered a coke zero as well...can you please grab one for me?".  So I just mumble "Uhhhhhhhhh...coke zero?"  More Polish is spit back at me.  Or at least some kind of Pol-namese.  Then another guy runs over and points down the hall and says "Coka, outside".  Huh???  I have no idea what's going on.  I have to go outside?  A bunch of people are watching and I'm super panicky at this point.  So, naturally I just walk away with only my Pho, embarassed and defeated, but trying to play it off cool. 

I wasn't that thirsty anyway. 

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I don't really have a comment to add. I just thought it looked sad with "0 comments". Wanted it to look like people were reading your blog, you know.

    Oh, how about those Huskies?! (The USC version, not the version that played Nebraska.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post!
    And yeah, it is a bit strange that a lot of Asians living here speak neither Polish, nor English.

    But I see you figured out the best Vietnamese place really quickly!

    ReplyDelete